Attention Journalism & Digital Media students!
If you have an interest in news or current affairs, want to get your foot in the door at the CBC, and would love to spend your summer working in different parts of the country, you should consider applying for the Joan Donaldson Scholarship at the CBC.
The scholarship is a four-month paid opportunity that gives you the opportunity to work in different departments at the CBC to develop your skills, and could even lead to more work with the CBC in the fall and beyond. Many talented MRU grads have won this scholarship, with several still working at the CBC.
Donaldson Scholarships are intended to provide working opportunities for students who have demonstrated:
- Exceptional academic performance, intelligence, curiosity, and potential
- Interest and ability to practice journalism on all platforms: digital, audio, and video. Similarly, we look for individuals who are interested in working both behind the scenes and on air
- Engagement in the world around them through community participation, volunteering and travel
- Genuine interest in the ideals and practice of public interest journalism at the CBC
- Adaptability, diligence, and self-reliance
OTHER IMPORTANT CRITERIA
- Candidates must be currently enrolled in their final year of a recognized undergraduate or graduate journalism program.
- They will have completed their graduating year – including all studies and assignments – before the scholarship begins on May 8, 2023.
- They must be recommended to the CBC by the school’s nomination coordinator.
- They must be Canadian citizens or permanent residents who can legally work in Canada.
- They must be available to continue working at the CBC in Sept. 2023 following the end of the program.
- Previously nominated candidates will not be considered.
- Successful candidates are expected to complete the entire 16-week scholarship.
- Any other work (including school assignments, other employment) which takes place during the Scholarship must be approved in advance.
If this sounds like something you’re interested in applying for, please send Meg Wilcox an email by Sept. 30th (firstname.lastname@example.org).